2017 Annual Workshop Application Information
Deadline: February 6, 2017
We suggest that you review this sample application before entering the online application. Once you log out of the online application, your browser may prevent you from logging back in to complete your application.
Summary of Application Requirements
Applicants must submit the following information via the online application:
- Contact information
- Basic personal information
- Educational background
- Professional information
- Circulation/reach of primary employer news outlet
- Supervisor contact information
Applicants must send the following Required Inclusions directly to Metcalf Institute by email to email@example.com, or fax to 401-874-6486, or mail to
URI Graduate School of Oceanography
218 South Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI 02882
1) Resume: Inclusion of your resume as a PDF document is required and should list all positions you have held as a professional journalist. Freelancers, include a list of your major stories from the past two years, including title, date, and news outlet for each.
2) Statement of Interest: Provide a 750- to 1,000-word statement of interest in the Metcalf Annual Science Immersion Workshop for Journalists. Briefly describe your interest in reporting on science and the environment. Explain how your participation in this Metcalf workshop would benefit you, your work, and your news audience.
3) Three Professional Work Samples: Send three clips of your published/aired work as a professional journalist, published or aired by a news outlet, from one or more than one media and from one or more outlets. All samples must be either in English or submitted with an English translation. No application materials will be returned.
Print Journalists: Send individual PDFs of articles OR a single PDF listing working web links where your articles can be accessed. Clippings must be legible and dated with news outlet visible and written in English or supplied with an English translation.
Broadcast Journalists: Send a PDF listing web links for three television and/or radio stories. Include a brief description of the works in English, identifying broadcast dates and media outlet(s). You may, instead, mail a DVD with your three work samples and descriptions to the address above.
Multimedia Journalists: You may send individual PDFs of three work samples OR a single PDF listing working web links for your stories and a brief description of each piece, including publication/air distribution and dates in English.
Filmmakers: Send a PDF listing web links for three work samples. Include dates, titles, and outlets for each sample/web link in your application package and a brief description of each piece in English. You may, instead, mail a DVD with your three work samples and descriptions to the address above.
Photo Journalists: Send a PDF listing web links for up to 10 photographs with description, date and publication source for each in English. You may, instead, mail a DVD with your three work samples and descriptions to the address above.
4) References: Two letters of reference are required and should be sent from the author directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 401-874-6486. References should evaluate your abilities as a journalist and specifically comment on the potential impacts of the Metcalf fellowship on your work. One letter must be from your current immediate supervisor or, for freelancers, from an editor who has most recently worked with you.
Please direct further questions to email@example.com.