2016 Annual Workshop Application Information
The application period for Metcalf Institute’s 18th Annual Science Immersion Workshop for Journalists is now closed.
Summary of Application Information Required
- Contact information
- Basic personal information
- Educational background
- Professional information
- Circulation/reach of primary employer news outlet
- Supervisor contact information
- Required inclusions (see details below)
- References: Applicants must supply two letters of reference as part of their applications. References should evaluate your abilities as a journalist and specifically comment on the potential impacts of the Metcalf fellowship on your work. One letter must be from your current immediate supervisor or, for freelancers, from an editor who has most recently worked with you. References can send their letters by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 401-874-6486, or mail to:
URI Graduate School of Oceanography
218 South Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI 02882
- Resume you will be asked to upload as PDF in your online application
- Statement of Interest (750-1,000 words) may be typed in or uploaded as PDF
- Professional Work Samples upload as either individual PDFs or PDF document listing URLs where clips can be accessed
Three, and not more than three, clips of your published/aired work as a professional journalist are required. Work samples should only include reporting that was published or aired by a news outlet and may be submitted from various media. All samples must be either in English or submitted with an English translation. To upload, use the links in the online application. If necessary, you may email samples to email@example.com or mail hard copies to Fellowships Coordinator, Metcalf Institute, URI Graduate School of Oceanography, 218 South Ferry Road, Narragansett, RI 02882. For hard copies, do not use scrapbooks or presentation folders. No application materials will be returned.
Print Journalists: Upload individual PDFs of articles OR upload a document that lists working web links (URLs) where your articles can be accessed. Clippings must be legible, dated with news outlet visible, and printable on 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
Broadcast Journalists: Upload a document that lists web links (URLs) for three television and/or radio stories. Include a brief description of the work, identifying broadcast dates and media outlet(s). If necessary, you may mail a DVD with your three work samples to the address above.
Multimedia Journalists: You may upload individual PDFs of three work samples OR upload a document that lists working web links (URLs) for your articles. In either case, the file should indicate the news outlet in which the samples were published/aired and the date of publication/broadcast.
Filmmakers: Upload a document that lists web links (URLs) for three work samples. Include dates, titles, and outlets for each sample/web link in your application package. If necessary, you may mail a DVD with your three work samples to the address above.
Photo Journalists: You may upload a document that lists web links (URLs) for up to 10 photographs and details the date and publication source for each and annotations as desired, OR you may mail hard copies if necessary with date and publication source for each and annotations as desired to the address above.
Please direct further questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.